Title: Senior Agricultural Trainer
Location: Ermera, Timor Leste
Dates: soon (1 year with potential for one year extension)
Employer: The position is being offered by World Education, Inc., a US-based International Non-Governmental Organization that supports social development in Asia, Africa, and Latin America.
In Timor Leste World Education is partnering with MorisRasik, the largest microfinance institution in the country. Currently MorisRasik provides small business loans to 13,000 women nationwide. Recently, MorisRasik has decided to expand their work from just financial products into non-financial services, including financial literacy and small business training as well as agricultural support training. World Education, in partnership with NZAID, assists MorisRasik by training and managing their new trainers so that they are able to provide high quality financial literacy, small business, and agricultural support trainings. The role of the Senior Agriculture Trainer would be to train and manage a team of agriculture trainers to provide agricultural support to coffee and vegetable farmers using the Farmer Field School (FFS) method. Farming innovations explored through this method could include introducing new seeds, fertilizers, integrated pest management, irrigation approaches, planting techniques, and other techniques and technologies as appropriate.
The Senior Agricultural Trainer will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of the MR Agricultural Training Team, including the following:
- Primary responsibility for implementation of all agriculture related activities of the project, including needs assessment, data collection, training, monitoring, and reporting
- Management and supervision of a team of 5 agricultural trainers
- On-going skills improvement and mentorship of junior trainers
- Coordination of activities with local MorisRasik branch offices
- Maintaining regular communication with Program Coordinator in Timor Leste and World Education advisors in Jakarta
- Ensuring that implementation meets targets on time with high quality.
- Representing the program to other stakeholders, including other NGOs, agricultural extension workers, and the Timorese Government.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide Training of Trainers in the Farmer Field School (FFS) methodology to MR agriculture trainers and interested government extension workers
- Develop FFS curriculum for vegetable and coffee with support of WE advisors, and adjust the curriculum as determined by feedback from participants and trainers
- Manage a team of 5 MR agriculture trainers as they provide FFS to communities on crops such as coffee and vegetables
- Make regular site visits to monitor training quality and provide feedback to trainers
- Provide FFS programs for communities as needed
- Liaise with the Project Coordinator and Financial Literacy Specialist to ensure these aspects of the overall project are coordinated
- Work with team to collect any data needed on the agricultural components of the project
- Provide regular reports to the Program Coordinator on the quality and outputs of agricultural training
- Coordinate agricultural activities with and regularly inform Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries in Ermera district
- Liaise with other agriculture stakeholders at district and national level
- Represent the program to donors, authorities, local partners, and other stakeholders.
- Foster relationships with local authorities and other stakeholders to ensure program buy-in.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Educational degree in agriculture or related field
- Training and training management experience, particularly with adult education in the agricultural sector
- Self motivated, independent, and willing to live and work in rural areas
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia or Tetun
- Ability to communicate well in written and spoken English is required
- Must possess a motorcycle license and be willing to ride a motor cycle to field sites in remote locations
Interested applicants, please send an English language CV and Cover letter to Dr. Robert Lindsley, World Education Country Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, by the latest November 30th, 2012
Documents should be sent in either .doc or .pdf formats and titled with the applicant's Surname, First Name, and either CV or Cover Letter separated by an underscore (Ex1: Lindsley_Robert_CV; Ex2: Lindsley_Robert_CoverLetter).