Technical Officer - Economics
Last Date: July 16, 2010
Technical Officer Economics – AADCP II (Re-advertised)
Closing date: 16 July 2010
ASEAN-AUSTRALIA DEVELOPMENT COOPERATION PROGRAM
(AADCP) PHASE II
IN JAKARTA INVITES APPLICATIONS
FOR THE FOLLOWING VACANCY
TECHNICAL OFFICER – ECONOMICS (RE-ADVERTISED)
The ASEAN Secretariat seeks a qualified candidate to fill the post of Technical
Officer - Economics under the Strategic Planning & Coordination Division.
Key Functions of the Position
ASEAN is committed to work towards the achievement the goal of regional
integration through the establishment of the ASEAN Economic Community (AEC) by
2015. This goal is operationalised through actions under the AEC Blueprint and
related initiatives. To reach this goal, AEC envisages the following four key
characteristics of the approach: (a) a single market and production base, (b) a
highly competitive economic region, (c) a region of equitable economic
development, and (d) a region fully integrated into the global economy.
In the implementation of the various economic agreements constituting the
architecture of the AEC, ASEAN Member States are committed to the AEC Blueprint
and are supported by the Government of Australia through the ASEAN-Australia
Development Cooperation Program (AADCP) II. This position is supported by AADCP
The purpose of the AEC Department is to lead and manage the implementation of
the AEC Blueprint and related initiatives. The AEC Department is divided into a)
Market Integration Directorate, and b) Finance, Industry & Infrastructure
Directorate. This position reports to the Strategic Planning and Coordination
Division (SPCD) and will work closely with the AEC Department.
AADCP II assistance is provided through individual projects that support
specific activities designed to achieve selected objectives of the Blueprint.
Under the coordination of SPCD, such projects are identified by sectoral bodies
and developed by officers in the two Directorates under the AEC Department.
Projects support either provision of economic research and policy advice or
regional implementation mechanisms and capacity building. Following approval by
the AADCP II Joint Planning and Coordination Committee, projects are implemented
by ASEAN Member States, working bodies or by independent consulting firms or
In supporting the Strategic Planning and Coordination Division, the broad
functions of this position will be to:
1. Support the AADCP II Senior Economist to assist the Assistant Director of
Strategic Planning and Coordination Division in working with the AEC Department
on the implementation of the AEC Blueprint.
2. Support the AADCP II Senior Economist to provide high level policy and
technical advice and recommendations in line with the AEC Blueprint.
3. Ensure the effective development, implementation and evaluation of programmes
and/or projects in support of the AEC, particularly those under the AADCP II.
4. Ensure effective information dissemination, communication and reporting.
Detailed Responsibilities of the Key Functions
1. Provide support to the Senior Economist with respect to issues relating to
economic policy and research work for relevant Sub-Committees/Working Groups.
2. Support the Senior Economist in preparing background papers, briefs, reports,
and updates and provide substantive input concerning economic policy and
research and AEC regional implementation mechanisms and capacity building
3. Coordinate the activities and provide the required support for the
identification, development, implementation and monitoring of economic policy
and research and AEC regional implementation mechanisms and capacity building
4. Coordinate responses to queries from Member Countries and external sources
with respect to the ASEAN economic policy and research and AEC regional
implementation mechanisms and capacity building work.
5. Prepare information materials and other publications for public dissemination
and coordinate with Public Affairs Office in organising programmes on economic
policy and research and AEC regional implementation mechanisms and capacity
6. Monitor the development of other economic policy development and research
bodies (within and without the region), as well as trends in regional and
international economic integration issues.
7. Conduct consultations with various dialogue partners, including Australia,
Japan, EC, and USA on economic policy and research matters.
a) This position will liaise, where appropriate, with:
• Assistant Directors, Senior Officers, Technical Officers and Technical
Assistants within and across Divisions,
• AADCP II Programme Management Team.
a) This position will liaise, where appropriate, with:
• ASEAN Sectoral Bodies under AEC.
• International Organisations, i.e.:
Relevant UN bodies
APEC, ADB, World Bank, IMF
Private Sector representatives.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• At least Bachelors degree in Economics or relevant disciplines; MA or
• At least five years of relevant experience with proven record of
accomplishment and exposure dealing with a wide range of economic policy and
research issues at national or regional level.
Technical and Managerial
• Demonstrated analytical and research skills in economic integration issues;
• Demonstrated knowledge of global and regional economic development issues,
particularly in ASEAN;
• Understanding of concepts and issues relating to ASEAN organisation, ASEAN
policies and ASEAN institutional framework;
• Demonstrated experience in Programme and Project formulation and design;
• High-level computing skills, including use of Microsoft Office applications,
and ability to produce clear and concise reports;
• Excellent writing and communication skills (in English); and,
• Consultation, facilitation and negotiation skills.
• Integrity. Strongly possess and perform the capability to maintain and promote
social, ethical and organisational norms and values in conducting internal and
external secretarial activities.
• Decisiveness. Possess and perform the capability to make timely decisions,
render judgement and take action when appropriate.
• Creative and innovative. Possess and perform the capability to generate
creative solutions to work situations; try different and novel ways to deal with
organisational problem and opportunities.
Requirements of the Position
• Work within the core values of the ASEAN Secretariat.
• Follow the ISO 9001: 2000 compliance.
• Candidate must be an Indonesian citizen or an ASEAN national with permanent
residence status in Indonesia.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team as well as in a
• Ability to travel when necessary.
Successful candidate will be offered the post with a probation period of six
months and monthly salary commensurate with his/her personal qualifications and
negotiable starting from IDR 12,500,000. There are other applicable benefits
which include medical and annual performance bonus. Upon completion of the
probationary period, the candidate will be confirmed for a two-year contract,
inclusive of the six-month probationary period, in the first instance.
How to Apply
Send your application to: email@example.com, highlighting your suitability and
potential contribution to the position together with a detailed CV including
names and contact details of at least 2 referees and a recent passport-sized
photograph, certified true copies of educational certificates obtained and
completed Employment Application Form which can be downloaded at
Please indicate on the subject heading: Application for Technical Officer -
Application papers should reach the ASEAN Secretariat by 16 July 2010.
The Selection Committee's decision is final and only shortlisted candidates will
Saturday, 3 July 2010
Vacancy at ASEAN Secretariat Jakarta